Monday, January 14, 2008

There is nothing new under the sun (son?)

There is a verse in Ecclesiastes.
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
Ecclesiastes 1:9 (New International Version)

Those words came to me yesterday when my 13 year old son asked me to assist him in downloading some songs from iTunes for his iPod. (help=$$=credit card) Good, I thought, I have an opportunity to see what songs/artists he is listening to and willing to pay cold cash for.

So we search for "Champions"... I'm thinking...it cannot be the one by Queen. Of course there's some artist with a similar song title. Several come up, and he's a bit uncertain, so I ask... "does it go like this?" and I sing it. Verbatim. (amazing how much I CAN remember some days- now why can't I remember to take out the laundry when it's done?)

YEAH, that's the one says he. No way. We look for others. Juke box hero. You're kidding. Another one bites the dust. I am so incredulous I am speechless. (which, you know is rare). Actually I am more than that. I'm giddy. "Are you sure? All these are songs from the 80's!"
Yeah, mom, that's what I like.

So I'm thinking, at least with these songs/artists I know without any doubt which ones I will not approve. (and most of them were his Dad's favorites-shhh)

Have I gotten old enough that my era has come full circle?? Or is this a brief anomaly???
If it is an anomaly, don't tell me. I want to soak in the ignorance for awhile. Because, really, there is nothing new under the sun.

Except this:

See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.
Isaiah 43:19.(niv)

Go Lord, because there is nothing we can do ourselves without you. Without you we are doomed to repeat ourselves over and over. Getting nowhere.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

If it did in fact come full circle and it's true for us with our kids later than that will save us tons of money on music! Scott has about 1,000 CD's! NO JOKE!

Christin said...

It's crazy b/c one of the rooms of people this past weekend was discussing this very thing. Except in the form of CLOTHING!! 80s clothing that has come full circle. God help us. It wasn't attrative then...it's not attractive now. Craziness :)

Carl8ta said...

ok julie - here's a blast from the past ..... when do we get to see a "fin de cialca" style come back? or the bustle or stomachers???!!!

ha ha ha

Beth said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Fun to see yours too. 80's clothing, 80's music...what will it be next? How about a little Debbie Gibson?

Crystal said...

I'm seeing the same thing with my 13 yr old. We should have an 80s party next time we're in the 'hood. :-)

Karla said...

I was catching up on your blogs and read this one today. It made me laugh, but it was interesting to me to read this one and the most current one (lot's wife comparison). What is known is always comfortable. But I loved the verse you ended with. Is 43:19 here -- God is totally doing that for me right now in a powerful way. -thanks for that great scripture. I need to post that on my mirror this week.