Monday, April 21, 2008

400 Children torn from their mothers in Texas...not allowed contact...

UPdate 4/22 see this blog http://fldsbreastmilk.blogspot.com/


I don't get cable news programs, but if I did, this story would have me glued. Instead I am today searching the Internet because this story troubles me for this one reason......
Next time it could be me.

You see, I keep letting it pass me by, because these people are polygamists. Which I am not. There are allegations of child sexual abuse, which I abhor. But it keeps messing with me, in the back of my mind. Why are ALL the mothers separated from their children??? Many of the mothers voluntarily left the compound with the promise that they could remain with their children if they did.

From what I understand, it was a few men who were doing the abuse. How can taking a child from his mother in any way help the child deal with the very real pain and terror caused by the abuser? Generally abusers use a great deal of shame and threats to keep children quiet (theyy'll take you away from your mother...your mom will die if she finds out...)
...so do we PROVE THEM RIGHT?
And tell me, why should my children be removed from my care because my neighbor is accused of abuse? Even if we attend the same church...??? I'm afraid that this will become another story of flagrant governmental abuse....who will be next. If no one stands up for them, then a dangerous precedent will be set. Who is next? Homeschoolers? Amish? Parents who have more than 2 children? I pray for these children and their families today. May God help us all.


"In Germany, they came first for the Communists,
And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
.

And then they came for the trade unionists,
And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
.

And then they came for the Jews,
And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
.
And then . . . they came for me . . .
.
And by that time there was no one left to speak up." -Niemoller


3 comments:

Christin said...

I don't have tv either...so i had no idea.

You're right. we can't just assume it'll never be us. Oh God, awaken your Church (ME) to pray.

Carl8ta said...

happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you!!!!!!

love sissie

Crystal said...

I'm with you on this one, Julie.