Monday, October 27, 2008

Proverbs 31

Proverbs 31 is the Bible passage that most Christian women both love and dread. It suggests such great heights of feminity to aspire to, which can also be depressing...as we all fall short. Recently my fellow blogger (what am I saying?? She leaves me in the blog-dust!) wrote a tribute to her mother on her birthday. What was special to me was that I know her mother, and watched her for a number of years. So I know she's telling the truth. And the truth bears repeating.

Life on Sylvan Drive...: Barbara#links


But I mostly wanted to post my own photo...because not only was this wonderful lady a blessing in my life, but she also shared some of her many talents on my wedding day 19.5 years ago. Not only was she an accomplished organist who could play Canon in D, and the 20 other songs I chose, but she also had the wisdom and talent to jump to the piano to play Forever and Ever, Amen (yes the Randy Travis song,..a token to my country loving spouse!) .
.
As if that wasn't enough, this great Woman of God (with the help of a friend) rolled up her sleeves and voluntarily collected most of the fancy plastic plates and cups from the reception (even retrieving some from the trash) washed and returned them to my mother. In a word- she was GREEN before it was COOL. (we thought she was just thrifty!)
.
So I say in my own words, with a lump in my throat. God Bless you, Barbara. I love you, too.

1 comment:

Davene said...

Julie, this is amazing!!! It literally brought tears to my eyes. Oh, that picture! :) And your comment about Mom being green before it was cool is so very true...I just never thought of it in that way before.

Thank you for writing this; what a gift!!!!! :)