Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Birth of a Mom



My good friend calls her blog, Birth of a Midwife, which I think is so very descriptive and creative! One day I will come up with a catchy, descriptive title for mine, but my creative prowess is lacking these days. BUT, I did want to break through the silence of this (whoops nearly a month!) to announce that on Friday March 21st our family marked the 14th anniversary of my official "break" into motherhood. Like many of my mother-readers, I cannot imagine what my life would be like otherwise, and yet, I think I can still remember what it was like before I became a mother. (must have been boring and self-serving, I'm sure ;^)


I cannot believe that this 5'11" (at least) son is the same one who suffered through jaundice, failure to thrive and green parents in his first year of life. The same one who didn't sleep thorught the night until he was 2, now never wakes me up, unless I run to the bathroom upon hearing him leaning over the toilet. The one who dragged his mommy's pj's through the house until he was given a "suitable" nighty-night blankie, now fights acne! The one who insisted on snuggling up with me in bed, who now would cringe at the thought (?) Where did time go? I think if it wasn't for birth and death, I would not be aware of the passing of time. I've heard that in motherhood, the days are long but the years are short, I would tend to agree.


7 comments:

Christin said...

"the days are long but the years are short"...I've NEVER heard that, but man if it doesn't describe it to a T.

that boy of yours is HUGE. Is he still growing?!!

Carl8ta said...

I so remember how sleep deprived your were those first TWO years! What a contrast to not waking you now when he is sick.

have a great one!

Carl8ta said...

I so remember how sleep deprived your were those first TWO years! What a contrast to not waking you now when he is sick.

have a great one!

Carl8ta said...

I so remember how sleep deprived you were those first TWO years!

What a contrast to now. He is growing up fast!

Crystal said...

You made me cry...I can't believe how big he is. Give him a hug from us.

Guess what Christian said this morning...."Mommy, I want to go visit my friend with golden hair. You know, the one with the Star War's ships." It took a couple of questions to figure out who he had in mind....do you happen to know anyone who fits that description? ;-)

Lisa said...

NO WAY! Is that our ring bearer?

Davene said...

I'm glad you broke the silence. I was beginning to wonder what was happening to you! :)

What a great post--a needed reminder for us "young" moms (yes, you're still a young mom, too!) that time needs to be enjoyed moment by moment because it FLIES!

I agree with Christin about your description of motherhood; that's profound!

Tonight I happened to be looking through an old church directory and saw a pic of you and your hubby. That's it. Just you and hubby. No kids. We were all so young then!

And now look at us... :)