Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Death
You sit there and mock me
always in the shadows
lurking
hiding
smirking.
Waiting for the chance
to jump out
and hit me again.
Hemming me in
on all sides.
Pushing me down again and again
until I feel like I'm near drowning
gasping for breath.
Over and over
relentlessly
laughing at me
certain you've won.
-
And yet-
-
where is your sting?
-
Winking,
menacing,
goading,
you entice.
Grief resumes,
but you forget
-
you've lost
-
you cannot win
-
your only power
is
in delaying the reunion.
-
You cannot deny it, thwart it, eliminate it, block it, or circumvent it.
-
So now I laugh,
(a sometimes bitter)
often bittersweet laugh.
But a laugh all the same.
-
For my Father defeated you long ago.
All you can do now
-
is spur me on.
-
To love more,
squeeze harder,
kiss more passionately,
bless more abundantly,
praise more loudly,
giggle more wildly,
tease affectionately,
tickle longer.
-
And when you emerge,
as you surely will,
and
strike again,
I will have no regrets.
-
-
-
My Father and I will have the last laugh.
Copyright JLohr, 2008

4 comments:

Christin said...

Awesome!

Crystal said...

Wow, Julie...gave me chills.

Jolanthe said...

This is great, Julie. :)

Jolanthe

Davene said...

Powerful!!! Thanks so much for sharing this!