Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Mountains

Ok. I don't know where to write this down. But I feel the need to do it. I may never hit "post", and I may just copy it down whenever I have time to dig out a journal, but for now it is burning in me. I have been looking in all the wrong places lately. I had lost my focus. I don't think you could always tell it, but I had. I was worshiping in my car to some Robin Mark memories and it hit me again.

The same word that the Lord keeps speaking to me.

Let me back up, maybe. I had become heartsick. (Proverbs 13:12) My hope had been deferred. Or had it? Was it just my own selfishness and impatience that had driven me down that road? Hadn't God himself still been faithful to me during all the time I was thinking I had been deferred? Of course! In my faithlessness, He had still remained faithful! So what was the difference? I had easily been distracted from my true source of life. In praying and meditating on the concerns of some friends, I had a breakthrough. ("if you have faith and do not doubt, you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. ")

And then I realized. It was my breakthrough too!

So I am still driving in the car and I see the corner of a piece of paper sticking out from my visor. I kinda know what it is, I mean, I wrote it down and put it there, and have read it dozens of times, but I am not sure. (did I tell you I have a mind like a sieve) So I pull it out and it is this

Matt 21:21, 22 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”


Yep. ~ Then I realize that the truth is that I have not been speaking to my mountains either. I have been allowing myself to soak in the mud much too long. (Psalm 40:2)

Let me explain it this way. I heard a story about a young man who never knew his birth father. His mother never spoke of him, and refused contact. Years later, his wife thinks it wise to search out his heritage. She finds out that not only does his father exist, but he has made numerous attempts to contact his former sweetheart and son. And if that isn't news enough, she finds out that the father is royalty. Thus the son is now royalty (or has been all along, he just didn't know it) But it gets better. For 32 years, whenever there was a family meal, a portion of the food has been set aside for him. (this unknown son)
Neat story, huh?

The deeper truth of the story is that we ALL are royalty. That God Himself has called us His children. Not his slaves, not his servants, not even just his creation... but his SONS and DAUGHTERS.

So there are millions of us roaming this planet of ours as orphans. We are Children of the Most High God, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and yet.... we don't know it. Some tag them "the lost", some "the unsaved","the pre-saved" etc, etc. But one thing is certain, they are heirs to a great kingdom, unaware.

But what about those who know their true heritage? What about those of us who know we are sons and daughters, and yet live as if we are still orphans? Have we forgotten? Believed lies about our true claim to the inheritance? We have written and spoken assurances, but somehow we think ...what? That we are not really in the will? Somehow, we reason, there is more that is needed to assure our place, to prove our worthiness, claim our destiny. But it is a l~i~e.

Which is why I needed that verse today. Sometimes I just need to speak it to my "self". I need to tell my "self"of its destiny. (1Corinthians 2:9) Of its inheritance. (1Peter 1:4) Of its place. (Matt 5:13) Of its power(John 14:12). Of its i.d.e.n.t.i.t.y. (John 1:12).